Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development
At Beacon College, we recognise that the personal development of pupils, spiritually, morally, socially and culturally is a pivotal part of what we do.
The main aims for SMSC development at Beacon College are to enable the students:
- To understand and communicate their emotions, alongside encouraging empathy in relationships with others.
- To develop positive relationships with other members of the College and wider community.
- To be independent and responsible members of the College community and wider community.
- To explore values and beliefs, including religious beliefs and the way in which they affect people’s lives.
- To be able to communicate their opinions and beliefs.
- To be positive and active members of a democratic society.
- To develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and to make informed choices regarding personal and social issues.
- To prepare for a meaningful and fulfilling adulthood.
- To prepare for independent living and all it entails.
- To participate and understand the importance of community participation.
- To explore the impact they have on the environment and how they can choose to reduce that impact.
- To develop a passion and drive for life-long learning.