British Values is an important part of SMSC development at Beacon College and promoting the fundamental British values of
- The Rule of Law,
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, and for those without faith.
The aims for SMSC development at Beacon College, in relation to embedding fundamental British values, are to enable the students:
- To develop their understanding of how people can influence decision-making through the democratic process.
- To develop an appreciation that having rules protects people’s safety and wellbeing and this extends to the rule of law.
- To understand the structure of society and the role different public bodies have, including whom they are responsible to.
- To learn to recognise similarities and differences between themselves and others and to respect these differences (including that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law).
- To understand what discrimination is, and the importance of identifying and combatting it.